Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Why plant natives?

 It is estimated that nearly 25 percent of the 20,000 native plant species in North America are at risk of extinction and 737 native plant species are protected by the Endangered Species Act. 
 Using native plants to restore the landscape or as a substitute for exotic ornamental plantings can help to reverse the trend of species loss. And this has been my goal recently. I admit, it's difficult not to be swayed by the showy exotics that you see but more and more nurseries are starting to offer native plants which makes it a little easier on the average gardener. And that is what I am, an average gardener who just likes pretty things, trying to make the world a little bit better one plant at a time.

 So I decided to make (another, yes I have more than one) plant journal, this one to showcase all my natives that I have been steadily seeking out to put in my flower bed by combining my love of Gel Press™ printing, water-coloring and book binding. You can visit the Gel Press™ blog and/or go see my video I made :)



Advantages of native plants:
  • add beauty to the landscape and preserve our natural heritage
  • provide food and habitat for native wildlife
  • serve as an important genetic resource for future food crops or other plant-derived products
  • help slow down the spread of fire by staying greener longer
  • decrease the amount of water needed for landscape maintenance
  • require very little long-term maintenance if they are properly planted and established
  • produce long root systems to hold soil in place
  • protect water quality by controlling soil erosion and moderating floods and droughts
I picked out one of my pages to enter in the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge


2 comments:

Craftychris said...

I loved reading all about native plants and I just watched your fabulous video and your journal is fabulous! Thank you for showing us how to put it together, cool Gelli prints and your watercolours are all amazing! Thank you! xxx

Unknown said...

Love your troutlily watercolor! And I too like to look for native plants for my garden - I know if they survived here without me, they have a better chance of surviving my semi-green thumb!Thank you for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!